Monday, September 24, 2012

we're expecting!!!!

if you know mike and i... that title REALLY got your attention!

for those of you who've been following along with the "skylar saga"... we have an answer!!!

skylar is our precious and beautiful black lab!  she is a completely amazing dog!!  and somehow or another, mike and i let her go "into heat".  it's really a long sad story and i think you can guess the ending...

as i stood at the vet's today, being grilled about what i would do should i find out my dog was pregnant, i felt like the kid who got caught stealing the candy bar.  i couldn't answer the vet's questions... i stumbled over my words... i choked up... and i eventually cried.  most of all, i felt like a complete failure as a pet mommy.  HOW COULD I BE SO IRRESPONSIBLE AS TO LET MY DOG GET PREGNANT??  WHY DIDN'T I GET HER FIXED?  WHAT WOULD I DO WITH ALL THE PUPPIES??  these were the questions being fired at me... "how many kids do you have?  how many dogs?  and what do you think you'll do with these puppies?"  the only thing missing was the bright light sweating me out!!

i literally left the vet's office in tears.  the ultra sound confirmed our precious skylar IS indeed expecting!!  and part of me was overjoyed!!  i'm 35 and i've never had a dog have puppies... but the words of the vet kept ringing through my head... "terminate the puppies"...  tears kept falling.  how do i make a good decision for my fur baby? 

of course i talked to mike... and i spoke with pastor mark.... my mom... my sister in law, cindy ... my daughter sireana... and every person agreed with me and was super supportive!  there is no way i could terminate those precious puppies!  i understand the perspective of the vet who i'm sure sees an endless stream of unexpectedly pregnant poochies... but that option is just not for us.  now, please don't ask me what vet it was... i don't want a tyraid of anger or rampid rumors... the vet did nothing wrong... simply outlined our options and highlighted his opinion.

so... babies... approximately six... baby daddy... UNKNOWN!!!  so we shall all be surprised when they come in to this world!!  mike assured our teens they WILL be helping with this process!  i think his exact words were something like "we're going 4-H with this!! we're all going to learn something!"  and i think that's true.  mike and i clearly knew the consequences of not getting sky fixed right away... and we knew the consequence of letting her out of the house unattended during her heat... and now we will accept those furry cuddly consequences with joy and love!! 

i'm hoping to to blog through this whole process... i'll try to get some pics of sky!!!  hehe!!! 
we're calculating she's due some time around Oct. 31.... so... anyone want a New Year's Pup?!?!?

God Bless,


the gonsers

1 comment:

  1. That title was surprising! Congrats on the coming puppies though!

    ReplyDelete